Image Map

Monday, October 8, 2012

Venice!


Venice

Our first stop on our Italy vacation was Venice.  I had been here before (studying abroad), but it was a first for Derek!  It rained super hard while we were eating dinner one night….thus, we got some amazing photos after the rain cleared around San Marco Square.


DSC_0547e
 
 
DSC_0541e
DSC_0557e


DSC_0562e


To say Derek was obsessed with gelato would be an understatement.  Don’t get me wrong, I love me some gelato.  But, Derek had 9 scoops within ONE HOUR!

DSC_0545e





















We checked out the different islands, including Burano and Murano.  While in Murano, we met a
local glassmaker and bought one of his beautiful pieces!  We thought it was crazy heavy….little did we know it would be light compared to all the wine bottles we brought home with us ;)

DSC_0584e



DSC_0616e



While in Venice, we also experienced our first Opera!  We went and saw Rigoletto and Teatro La Fenice.  It is an amazingly beautiful opera house.  Although we don’t know a bit of Italian, we enjoyed the performance!

DSC_0619e




IMG_0293e


Lastly, we had to take a gondola ride!  It was probably our favorite part of Venice.  Our Gondolier explained a lot of the Venetian history and also sang!

DSC_0639e


Gondalaedit


gondala2edit


Well, I guess our other favorite part of Venice was drinking wine and getting lost on the island.  And perhaps, both of the items occurred simultaneously!!


IMG_0291e



Next up, Florence!



post signature

15 comments:

Lauren said...

Gorgeous pictures, he opera looks amazing & love your dress :-) 9 scoops?!Haha must have been good!!!

Faith said...

Such beautiful pictures!! You looked incredible too! I'm excited to see more pictures of your trip!!

Unknown said...

So cool! I'm super jealous!

Michelle said...

I love your pictures! Looks like so much fun.

Courtney said...

You looked so beautiful for the opera! I would die to go on a gondola ride, can't wait to see the rest =)

Kristen said...

I hate you. lol JK! Looked like a wonderful time. And that is so cool that you went to an opera, definitely a good idea! :)

jamiedawn said...

To say that I'm jealous would be a total understatement!! So beautiful!

Sarah said...

Amazing pictures!! 9 scoops!! That is incredible!

Jen said...

So glad you had an amazing trip! One of my biggest travel goals is to go to Italy and go on a gondola ride. Can't wait to see more pics!

dave and jenn said...

It looks so beautiful! I'm living vicariously through your pictures until we have a chance to go one day!

tiff@thecoffeehouse said...

I've always wanted to go to the opera. Not sure how I'd fit in exactly ... but I totally want to experience it. You look GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

That city looks so romantic! Great pictures, I really love the last picture of you two!

henning love said...

italy is the best!! i love visiting venice, burano, murano. everything there was so gorgeous. and holy cow 9 scoops in one hour, that is obsessed!!

Mrs. Pancakes said...

Venice is just gorgeous isn't?! I've been there but never went to an Oprea how awesome!! Your pictures are gorgeous!

Bosch Family said...

We went to Italy three months ago and Venice was my favorite! I loved looking at all the photos and Gelato was one of my favorite things to eat too.