Image Map

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Interrogating Travels to Pisa

DSC_0796e


Did I tell you about the time in Italy where Derek and I were interrogated by the Italian Police?  No?  Ok, let me start from the beginning….


We were traveling from Florence to Cinque Terre.  We were changing trains in Pisa and thought since we were at least at the train station, we should run and go see the Leaning Tower.  I mean, who knows how much longer it will be there.  Right?  Right.


So, keep in mind this is the second train that we took…ever.  So, we weren’t pros by this time by any means.  We must have been looking obvious at the train station, and by obvious I mean obviously lost and confused.  So, this “nice” Italian man standing by a train asked us where we were going.  We replied Pisa, and he waved us on as to follow him.


DSC_0797e


Derek and I both looked at each other and smiled like, “wow, look at this helpful gentleman assisting us!”  After getting to the correct platform (which was two trains over may I add) and getting on the train, Derek thought he would tip this “nice” guy.  So, he proceeded to give him 2 Euros.  The guy was NOT having that at all.  He basically harassed us and said we needed to give him more money.  By then, Derek reached into his pockets and gave him all his change which totaled 7 Euros.  Butttttttttt, this was still not good enough for the guy.  I mean, he didn’t really do anything that warranted any money.  PLUS, he did not solicit his services to us or even ask us if we would like our help.


Anyway, Derek and I ignored him so he left.  But then, he popped back on the train with TWO ITALIAN POLICE OFFICERS and pointed right at Derek and I.  At this point, I peed my pants.  I mean not really, but I was freaking.out!  I was pretty sure I was going to jail.  These two police officers spoke essentially no English so we have no idea what they were wanting to know.  After the whole train staring at us and trying to speak our way through the situation, the police officers left.


DSC_0799e


I was positive that rip-off of a dude was going to be waiting for us in Pisa to mug us or something.  Thankfully, he wasn’t and thankfully, we didn’t have another run in with the police while we were there!



post signature

6 comments:

Caitlin C. said...

AHhh this is scary! I would have REALLY peed in my pants. So glad you guys made it there safely!! Love the pictures :)

Kristen said...

Definitely scary! So glad it all turned out ok though!

Courtney said...

I'm pretty sure I would have peed my pants if the Italian police came after us. Thank goodness everything turned out ok!

Katrin said...

Wow, I am glad he did not try to mug you! Scary guy!

Kristin said...

oh thats scary!

dave and jenn said...

Um, that is crazy! I would have been freaking out too. At least you got some great pictures in Pisa!